Immigration Consultant Services

Work Permit / Post Graduation Work Permit

The Work Permits program issues work permits to eligible foreign workers who wish to work temporarily in Canada, provides information on the related application process, and issues visitor records to business visitors.

Applicants must meet the following requirements:

  • have a valid passport or other travel document issued by their country of residence
  • be in good health (a medical exam may be required)
  • provide proof that they have sufficient funds to support their stay in Canada
  • demonstrate that their stay in Canada is temporary
  • not have a criminal record, nor be considered a security risk

In most cases, foreign workers must have obtained a labour market opinion from their potential employer before applying for a work permit.

In most cases, foreign workers who are coming from countries that are not visa exempt must also obtain a Temporary Resident Visa, which is usually issued along with the work permit.

Post-Graduation Work Permit Program

The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience.

A work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program may be issued for the length of the study program, up to a maximum of three years.

A Post-Graduation work permit cannot be valid for longer than the student’s study program, and the study program must be a minimum of eight months in length. For example, if you graduate from a four-year degree program, you could be eligible for a three-year work permit if you meet the criteria. If you graduate from an eight-month certificate program, you would be eligible for a work permit that is valid for no more than eight months.